Before you begin your home search, you should decide if you are going to buy a new home or older home.
Reasons to buy a new home
While the craftsmanship or unique features of an older home may appeal to some buyers, there are several reasons to consider buying a new home instead:
- Choose your design – If you choose to purchase a new home, you have the opportunity to customize your new home to fit your style. You can choose from different floor plans, make modifications and select the finishing of your new home.
- Advanced features – Your new home may include current features that allow you to relate to lighting, home security, home theater and entertainment, and thermostat regulation that may not be available in an older home without an expensive remodel.
- Meets current building standards – An older home may not meet current building standards which are meant to protect homeowners and ensure their home is a safe environment.
- Less maintenance – A new home is built with low maintenance in mind and constructed with composite materials that resist rot and insect damage which means your new home will typically require less upkeep than an older home.
- Warranties – Regulations require that builders warranty your new home for structural defects for up to 10 years. Your new home will also include warranties on workmanship and materials which will protect your investment for up to two years.
- New neighborhood – By choosing a home in a new neighborhood you can select the lot or building site you prefer in a neighborhood. You also have a chance to meet new neighbors as they move in.
- Creative financing options – A new home build may provide unique home financing options that are not available in an older home. Builders may partner with lenders who offer incentives for new home mortgages, including lower down payments or extended warranties.
Reasons to buy an older home
There are several reasons that you may want to buy an older home.
- You love the home – You saw the house, and it was love at first sight, or maybe you have the opportunity to buy a house you have always wanted, having that special one of a kind home can be enough for some buyers to accept the risks involved with purchasing an older home.
- You like the area – Location, location, location! Whether it is about convenience, or the appeal of a particular area, having a home in your ideal community may be the all-important factor in your home buying decision.
- You know the neighbor – While you can choose your home and your neighborhood, you cannot always choose your neighbor. If you are considering buying an older home to be near a friend or loved one, you have an advantage over other home buyers.
- You want a fixer-upper – Some buyers see a diamond in the rough and are determined to buy and improve an older home. Make sure that you are committed to the home improvement process before going this route!
- You cannot beat the price – Buying an older home can present an opportunity if you can find an incredible deal and make a winning offer the owner cannot refuse.
No matter what type of home you are looking for, Georgia Views Realty can help you find your North Georgia Dream home. Call today to speak with one of your agents!